WHO ARE WE?
WHAT DO WE DO?
The Keremeos Victim/Witness Services Program is provided by RCMP, in cooperation with the Lower Similkameen Community Services Society. We provide emotional support and practical assistance to victims of crime, their family members, witnesses of crime, and those who suffer other trauma. Our area of service includes Keremeos, Olalla, and Cawston.
Referrals to our program are through the RCMP, Penticton Regional Hospital, and other service agencies. There is no fee for our services, and clients have the option of choosing only the services they require.
Paid Staff and trained volunteers can help you to calm down and think clearly about your needs, options and responsibilities following a traumatic event. Clients are treated with respect and non-judgment
We can provide clients with general and case-specific information including:
- police and justice system procedures
- status of the police investigation
- the role of Crown Counsel
- court appearances and outcomes
- other community services and resources
- crime prevention
We provide assistance in these areas:
- submitting your report to the police
- accompaniment to the police
- court orientation and accompaniment
- liaison with Crown Counsel
- preparation of Victim Impact Statements
- application for Victim Assistance Program compensation
There are many agencies and services in the South Okanagan and Similkameen areas that may be able to offer additional and extended assistance to our clients. With your permission we can refer you to:
- SOVAS (Victim Assistance Services)
- counseling & mental health services
- drug and alcohol counseling
- children services
- senior services
- safe house and transition houses
- criminal injury compensation
- legal services and legal aid
- support groups
YOUR PRESENCE IN COURT
As a victim or witness of crime, you may want (and in some cases be required) to attend court sessions. We can provide you with a guided tour of the court house and an explanation of your possible roles and responsibilities in the justice process. We can also accompany you to your court visits.
Keremeos RCMP Detachment
2920 Highway 3
P. O. Box 340
Keremeos, B.C., V0X 1N0
Tuesday- Thursday: 9:00am – 3:00pm
and by appointment (please call to confirm)
250 499 5405